Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lavender Zen

IMG_6328
laetitia-russia
IMG_6043
IMG_6034

I have been thrift store shopping since I was 12 years old; that’s over half my life time. Growing up poor, but still wanting to look stylish, while expressing my individuality, I found a passion for thrift store shopping. It is a consuming hobby, and one that necessitates a place like Etsy to sell overstock. Having as many clothes as I do can be both a burden and a blessing – a blessing because I can be inspired by something & go to my wardrobe most of the time to fulfill the look, a burden because it’s overwhelming! I have clothing racks in the most random places – winter clothes in the laundry room, Etsy clothing on a rack in the living room, a roll-away rack of vintage dresses within my already full closet. I designate certain chairs within the house to pile clothes upon, and usually put everything away by the end of the week. Well, I’ve been a little behind on this task & the these chairs are now completely covered. Meanwhile, the clothing tide is rising and about to tsunami. Seeing these chaotic heaps of clothing is having a profound effect on my psyche. I haven’t been able to sleep properly for a couple of days, and I’ve begun to question the rationale behind having so many stinkin’ clothes. Would I feel less overwhelmed if I had a simpler wardrobe? I suppose this longing for calm within my wardrobe has led to this post on lavender clothing - a warm, feminine, soothing color.

Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.
-Gustave Flaubert

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche
(But, Nietzche, what about chaos in the wardrobe – will that breed a dancing star?)

Images of Laetitia Casta, Vogue Russia, August 2010, Matt Irwin, from Fashion Gone Rogue.


Outfits – everything thrifted


2 comments:

  1. we're on the same wavelength. i bought two new lavender dresses on sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a thrift store junkie myself. this post speaks to me in such an intimate way. clothing in the shed, clothing in the attic, clothing in the linen closet, clothing in all five closets. clothing everywhere. i need to unload and yet
    each time i unload i go and buy more.

    great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails