Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Oh Hi!


film photos taken by Pete, Ojai, CA. (50s denim 2-piece and PF Flyers High tops, thrifted).

Howdy friends! It’s been a good while since I last made an appearance on this here blog, all summer in fact. I had lost inspiration, didn’t exude that idealist summer spirit that normally overtakes me during my most favorite of seasons, and didn’t want to share a lesser version of myself with you. I’m sure you understand. How was your summer?

For most of the summer, I worked full-time during the work week, backslid into bachelordom along with my boyfriend, Pete, on the week nights (There were chores left undone, and many dinner nights where we stuffed our faces with Stoffer’s French bread pizza, which shamefully we both love), and watched my nephew most weekends. I also had several bouts of anxiety, and read lots of literature, including Joan Didion’s “Play it as It Lays,” which I do not recommend reading during anxious times. I didn’t really get into the summer spirit until quite late into the season when Pete and I set out on some much needed adventures. We went to Ojai, Ca (where the above photos were taken), just a few hours away from Los Angeles, but worlds away in terms of pace - it’s a very relaxing place, though we managed to shake things up a bit when we capsized in a canoe on Lake Casitas.

I also finally went to visit my mother’s grave in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, and then to Toronto, Canada, where I met up with family. But the most memorable of our end of summer jaunts was a visit to Detroit, Michigan, which I’ll write about in a more detailed post later. Its sad beauty, friendly people, tenacious spirit, and good eats, impressed upon me for weeks after our trip. There were also some weekend get away trips to Prescott, AZ, where I took photos from the back of Pete’s stepdad’s motorcycle, and San Luis Obispo, where we stayed in the perfectly pleasant and pink Madonna Inn. More on that in another post too.

So, kind readers, I’m back with an improved perspective and a renewed vigor. And no matter how my mood or attitude may sway, at least my love for dressing up has yet to diminish. I’m excited to share with you again this one constant in my life.

Affectionately yours,

Crystal Lee

10 comments:

  1. Well, I'm so glad you're back, & feeling inspired once more! I have been meaning to thank you for the amazing mixtape you sent me, gosh, a long while ago... it actually helped pull ME out of a li'l creative slouch there!!! You've got quite an ear for good music!

    I can't wait to hear about your trip to Detroit. Strange as it seems, it's one of the cities I want to visit the most; it just seems to have a lot of character and creativity going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady. So glad you liked the music mix. Detroit is indeed a very interesting place.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, I kind of took a blog break too (from reading them, I've been good and trying to post still). I always enjoy seeing your adventures in California though it makes me miss living in LA!

    Can't wait to see more of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Leilani. I, too, have to get back to reading my favorite blogs, yours included, even though it's nice to take a break for personal reflection.

      Delete
  3. Oh I have missed you and your adventures! Your hair has gotten really long you look adorable as per usual. Glad you are feeling more inspired xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! I'm excited to check your blog out again and see what you've been up to.

      Delete
  4. oh yay, you're back. can't wait to hear about your wanders; i have always wanted to stay in the madonna inn. for your sake i'm glad you're out of your funk but i know how those can often give the spirit a much needed shake up. as can a capsized canoe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have you back :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails