Tuesday, January 22, 2013

omg, I'm trendy


Look at me, I’m trendy. Socks and sandals, and round glasses. I like that it’s become acceptable to wear socks with sandals because I can finally show off my cute socks in their entirety, but I still feel a little uncomfortable sporting this trend. As a self-proclaimed rebel, I’m kind of embarrassed to be following the latest trends, especially one that was once considered so heinous. I am, however, much more comfortable embracing the round glasses trend. These round glasses are so unique anyway, and they are foldable! Does anyone know what era they hail from?  I’m thinking the 1930s. I had the lenses put in because they were prescription glasses originally. I hope I don’t break them because they’ve become a fast favorite.

I’m wearing my mother’s turquoise fair isle sweater, an item she wore my entire life. My mom definitely did not take part in the game of fashion, but she made a good choice in holding on to this sweater for so long. In step with my usual untidy appearance, I’ve forgotten to button the neckline of this sweater. But what does it matter anyway, I’m sure one day it will be trendy to purposefully forgo the little details.  Fashionistas will consciously leave their fly zippers down or tuck their dresses into their tights all in pursuit of following the latest trend, and then I shall declare, I did it here first.

You know what’s not trendy - wearing hiking shorts for actual hiking. That’s what I’ve been doing with these shorts since I thrifted them a few weeks back.  Practical and cute, they are just what my wardrobe has been missing.

Are there any trends that you were once hesitant about that you now find yourself embracing?

Til next time, stay cool.

xoxo,

Crystal Lee

 Outfit: vintage hiking shorts (thrifted), sandals (La Bamba vintage, Long Beach), fair isle vintage sweater (mom’s), vintage sunglasses (antique mall),  Happy Socks.

15 comments:

  1. Pretty glasses!! They're so unique that I have no clue what era they're from either; they're just ageless and spectacular!

    I love the socks with shoes trend, too. They're very comfortable, and I feel like a haute couture bobbysoxer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Bobby sox and brouges, as you would wear it, now that is more classic than trendy, in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. Those are the snazziest darn glasses I've ever seen! I love that they fold in half--so handy! They remind of a pair of sunglasses that Bette Davis wears in photo of her where she's eating an ice cream, which you can find easily in google!

    At first I thought the socks and sandals/heels trend was a bit goofy looking, but now I don't mind it so much, and I do sport it on occasion, though mostly with a pair of shoes that rub my heel to no end, so the sock just makes them more comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I recall that photo of Bette Davis! They are somewhat similar glasses.

      Delete
  3. ALL of them. All trends that I've seen begin. It's so embarrassing to look askance at something when it first appears and then get used to it and start to like it, I feel so conservative and weak-willed.

    Dang I miss my turquoise jumper. (Burned a hole in it and then shrank it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the best sunglasses! Being the un-hippest person I know, I had no idea that socks and sandals were a trend; but anything that allows more striped socks to show is okay by me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice when men are un-hip. I would die if my boyfriend was wearing socks with sandals. or even if he were wearing sandals for that matter.

      Delete
  5. OMG those are the most awesome sunglasses!
    You have sexacious legs, and socks with sandals don't detract at all! I didn't know it was a trend either! Dammit, I don't want to be trendy,it kinda sux. O well.
    No, I don't wear 80's much at all! I was traumatised by growing up in the era, but am just recently starting to feel a bit ok about it.I'm just glad I was into Goth at the time, as I don't have TOO many embarrassing photos.....funnily enough, "trend" was a term for someone a little alternative and fashionista-y then. In Sydney, anyway.
    I'd cook for you anytime, lovey!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helga, I do so enjoy your tales from your teenage years. I remember those goth photos you posted on your blog. You looked tough & chic! I'm glad to see that everyone has similar qualms about being trendy. I remember in Jr. High, "trendies" were the equivalent to "squares", and they didn't much like my band of hooligans, & we didn't much care for them. I wrote an anti-trendy anthem that I used to sing to them. kind of funny looking back on it. When I do make my way out to Syndey, I'll be sure to get in touch with you.

      Delete
  6. O, that new header is TO DIE FOR fabulous!X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've always wanted to be a cartoon cowgirl.

      Delete
  7. the commentary is hilarious, trends are so odd. but i am a fan of embracing socks again, i used to wear the cutest ones when i was little. also your hair looks so pretty and red in these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha! i have recently worn socks and sandals as well. i love your glasses and sweater too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen at least 10 mustard-colored pieces in my perusing of blogs today. Your shorts are, by far, the best. :D

    www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails