Monday, April 8, 2013

pinstriped





I wore this 50s bustier and 50s skirt on Saturday to “Citizen Twain”, Val Kilmer’s one man show about Mark Twain (Val Kilmer was spot on in his interpretation of Twain, especially in capturing the famed author’s mannerisms & dialect. He also reenacted a scene between Huck Finn & Jim, playing both characters with tremendous accuracy).  Because I really only wore my outfit in the dark, I felt obliged to wear it in the sunshine the next day when Pete & I hung around San Pedro & Palos Verdes, my favorites towns across the bridge. Later that evening, Pete & I shared fish & chips at Whale & Ale, a pub in Pedro. It was our first time there, but we were impressed with the food and the service.  As unofficial spokesperson for San Pedro, I encourage all ya’ll Southern Californians to spend some time in this hilly old port town. It definitely has a small town feel, even though it’s technically part of Los Angeles County.

This was a blissful weekend - one of those weekends where everything I like to do fits gracefully (no mad rush) into those two cherished days. I drove my niece around Long Beach with the top down in my convertible. She was delirious with the new found freedom, exclaiming “I feel like I could reach out and grab a cloud!” I hung out with some of my best buds. I ate lots of good food. I shared a sunset with my beau and then ended my weekend with Mad Men. How amazing were Megan’s get ups? She had damn near 10 wardrobe changes for the premiere, and I coveted all of her outfits.  

Outfit: 50s bustier (hand me down from a friend), 50s skirt (thrifted recently), Jcrew ballet flats

6 comments:

  1. Darling Crystal, that is the MOST GORGEOUS outfit!!! You look sublime. I'm amazed old Val was able to concentrate! I haven't heard anything of him in a few years, good to know he's still around!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lovely lady. Yes, Mr. Kilmer claims he's trying to redeem himself with this piece. He was brilliant in his performance.

      Delete
  2. I am in awe of your pattern matching here. It looks like those pieces were meant to be together. :D

    love,
    a.

    www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it when two vintage pieces, acquired at different times, can work so well together. serendipity, I suppose.

      Delete
  3. Wow what a great weekend you had! Your niece is so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look stunning my lady, your weekend sounds perfect x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails