Wednesday, February 1, 2012

style icon: Sissy Hankshaw

When I saw model, Marianna Rothen, wearing this brilliant fringy cowgirl get up on the inspiring Tales of Endearment, I immediately thought of my most favorite muse, Sissy Hankshaw, the hitchhiking protagonist in Tom Robbin’s “Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.”
It's true the movie "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" by Gus Van Sant wasn't all that great, but the novel and its star, Sissy Hankshaw, are usually on my mind when I get to thinking that I want to be a cowgirl for the day. Below is one of my favorite jumpsuits. I'm sure Sissy would agree that a jumpsuit is essential to any urban cowgirl’s wardrobe.
I'm gonna have some sweet vintage cowgirl duds in the shop soon on account of my ever protruding bum, which keeps growing while the rest of my body stays the same. I am an alien, I swear.

Happy Trails to you, until we meet again.

Crystal Lee

Photo Credits: 1-3 (Tales of Endearment), Screen shots by me, Last two photos taken by me using my tripod in Palos Verdes.

Outfit: 70s denim jumpsuit (thrifted), ankle cowboy boots (thrifted), 50s cowboy hat (antique mall)

3 comments:

  1. the butt thing means you're "becoming a lady"! I'm the same way, but with boobs. I always want to complain, but it could be my stomach so i usually keep quiet :#

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love Sissy too, and have even been known to invoke her as a style icon as well! http://thriftcandy.blogspot.com/2010/04/grunge-girl.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missa,
    I checked out your link and I adore your rendition of a Sissy Hankshaw inspired get up. very cute!

    Melissa,
    Becoming a lady is freaky!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails